Thursday, January 29, 2015

Module 3 - Cartographic Design

For Module 3 we looked at two different topics. For lecture, we divided our discussions between learning about land partitioning systems and cartographic design. For the lab, we utilized the information we just learned about cartographic design and applied it to building a map of elementary, middle, and high schools within Ward 7 of the Washington D.C. area. We used Gesalt's principles, such as visual hierarchy and contrast, to narrow down the important subject matter and decide how to display it for viewer clarity.

I enjoyed the map building process, like learning how to clip areas or add layers with specific label features. I was selective about which information to include, choosing to leave major highways, the Potomac River, and parks (clipped to the Ward 7 area), as well as the Ward 7 streets to help the viewer get a sense of place for the data. Color and contrast were the keys to correct visual hierarchy for this map, which I am usually quite intuitive about, but this time I was getting hung up, so I turned to the Color Brewer website. After choosing colors and line weights that were noticeable but not distractions from the Ward 7 area or school symbol it was all about layout.

I chose landscape orientation to give me more negative space for the legend, inset, and other map essentials. I unfortunately spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to keep the extent indicator in the inset the size I wanted, yet create more space in the main data frame. I learned later that it is perfectly fine to drop the indicator and go with a box around the point of interest in the inset instead. Time saver for next map, but experimentation is always valuable in design and software anyway.

Map denoting elementary, middle, and high school locations within Ward 7 in Washington D.C. 


1 comment:

  1. After doing more reading about typography, I decided to change the text on my map and repost. The earlier map had a serif font. I really love serif fonts, and feel that as long as they aren't ornate and are appropriate to the map they are perfectly fine, especially in titles, although that goes against the traditional guidelines of using san serif almost exclusively, especially if the map is to be viewed online. The reason I felt a change to the more boring sans serif Arial type family is because after comparing the neighborhood label text san serif to serif, it really is more easy to read the san serif on this size map at these viewing dimensions. I also made a few modifications to placement, as sometimes you just aren't sure of a layout until you come back a day later and look at it with new eyes. I can't promise I will always follow the rules about sans serif versus serif, I just feel that serif makes for a more inviting, exciting map, but I will make changes to increase legibility and readability.

    ReplyDelete