This week was a light one in terms of creative output. After reading up on GIS hardware and software, we moved on to learning about map packages and tile packages. We used ESRI's online training courses to get an idea of the sharing capabilities of ArcGIS Online and to build two map packages. The steps to building the map were pretty straight-forward, as was sharing it on ArcGIS Online. The biggest points to remember: fill in all your data source information so you won't get error warnings in the Map Package window, log in to ArcGIS Online right before you want to share so you don't get timed out during your map creation process, and think about scale constraints to help users easily and effectively use your map data.
I personally found the sharing capabilities to be the most interesting part. I knew I could share a map I had created through ArcGIS Online, however, I didn't realize the full extent of how organizations already utilize map and tile packages. Group members all viewing and inputting data into the same map, technicians accessing and updating information from the field, and the ability of tile packages to contain cartographic and coordinate properties across various scales. Interesting. I am excited to try working with map and tile packages in a real-world situation in the future.
 |
| My first map package built with ESRI training data, shared on ArcGIS Online. |
 |
| A map package where we adjusted symbols to match multiple scale ranges. |
No comments:
Post a Comment