Thursday, January 22, 2015

Module 2 - Children's Encyclopedia Cover

For the lab assignment in Module 2, we were tasked with taking a map in ArcMap, exporting it as an EPS, and then using CorelDRAW X7 to create an attractive children's encyclopedia cover about FL. We had certain guidelines to follow, such as including three images related to FL's state symbols and of course, the basic map essentials. I chose to model my map a little off the old hand-drawn land survey maps, using an imported background map as my starting point. The challenge was finding a visual balance between the transparent gradient background and the overlying images. With more experience and bitmap options at my fingertips it could be improved, but I think it ended up being a unique and attractive cover (I would not include the required neatline border on an actual publishing piece as I envisioned the cover being full bleed but the grading rubric takes precedence here).

Challenges ranged from data that needed to be repaired in our provided MXD file to the EPS not being able to open as curves. This lab definitely required patience and unflagging enthusiasm for the end product (turning on some high tempo music was necessary at points). Thankfully I have past experience with graphics programs, although it's been a few years, so producing a file in Corel wasn't nearly as difficult as trying to understand datasets and filepaths in ArcMap. It was still a slow process, which I hope to speed up as the class progresses.


4 comments:

  1. Brilliant job! Looks very professional - very much by an experienced graphic designer. Love the antique map background. Nice choice of images - illustrations are easier to "cut out" for a transparent background. Nice color harmony. The trick on that legend was no mean feat in ArcGIS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment on my map Alicia! Your map is beautiful... I really like the background you picked for your map - very creative! I also like the image cut-outs... I'm going to have to open up CorelDraw to figure out how to do that. I'm guessing the text around the images is also text on a line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. Yes, the text is on curves I made or a sphere for the seal and then I added the text to the path. As to removing the background from imported bitmaps, it took a little playing around to get it to work decently. This link was very helpful, since I wasn't sure in Corel what tools could do that or how-but I figured it existed. http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/coreldrawtutorials/ht/cdrbitmapmask.htm

      Delete
    2. whoa, don't know what's up with the text in that reply...

      Delete