The first tricky part was choosing a classification method for each dataset. It needed to represent the data well and be visually understandable. In a different map it might not have been too bad, however, in such a small map with a large extent, sacrifices had to be made to keep from having legend values that couldn't be seen because they were such small countries (I learned after I was already design committed that you can choose to add text or insets to address such issues). So I went with Quantile as it provided a decently well-rounded visual of the values, even if a few outliers were mixed in rather than being in their own classes. The second hard part for me was getting the value ranges to display labels the way I wanted and still accurately reflect the data. I'm still working on understanding that part. Finally, and maybe the hardest, was getting all the information to fit on the map. While we had the option of using pictographs for our proportional/graduated symbols, I decided to stick with circles as I felt my map was crowded enough. I've seen some good (and bad) uses of pictograph symbols though, so definitely worth exploring more later. While this may not be the most exciting map I'll ever make, I think it is a fair shake at two new concepts and a lot to fit into one map.
![]() |
| Exploration of Choropleth mapping and graduated symbols using various European population data. |

No comments:
Post a Comment