For the lab assignment, we started with exercises to try our hand at running tools within the Python window in ArcMap as well as when creating a stand alone script in PythonWin. There are definitely a few differences in the written code depending on which software you are working in, including importing arcpy, setting the environment, and how file paths and file extensions need to be written. I chose to write my script in PythonWin as I like the ability to work through the whole code and run it when I want. I imported arcpy, set my workspace and environment, and went about running three geoprocessing tools on a shapefile. First adding XY fields to the shapefile with the AddXY tool, then running a buffer of 1000 meters with the Buffer tool, and finally dissolving the overlapping buffer zones with the Dissolve tool. I also included print statements to get messages after each tool to verify successful task completion.
![]() |
| Screenshot of the tool messages printed after three geoprocessing tools were run on a shapefile using a stand-alone script created in PythonWin. |

No comments:
Post a Comment