Starting with a series of Network Analyst tutorials in ArcGIS Desktop Help, I explored creating a network dataset, finding a best route, doing a closest facility analysis, and calculating a service area. After that, the lab assignment took a closer look at basic spatial accessibility for county hospital access and service areas for college campus accessibility based on travel time. Walking through the steps of creating and analyzing networks and service areas was pretty straightforward, although I am sure it would take a good deal more hands-on time to really understand all the parameters and functions available within ArcGIS Network Analyst. For both exercises I worked a great deal more with attribute tables and Excel than I had previously; adding fields, sorting data, and creating Cumulative Distribution Functions (CDF). All a bit tricky, but luckily there was plenty of help between online tutorials, YouTube videos, and our discussion board.
I certainly can see the value in network and spatial accessibility analysis. I have no doubt there are thousands of uses for these types of analyses, especially in relation to urban development, and that this assignment barely scratched the surface. While such analyses might not be my first choice of GIS employment types, I do think there is plenty of room to find reward within this subject if the analysis topic was one of interest.
![]() |
| Spatial accessibility analysis comparing service areas around a community college district relative to a potential campus closure. |

No comments:
Post a Comment