First up, getting a TIGER/Line shape file from the US Census Bureau, then pairing that with a provided Excel table before building an Address Locator. From there we used the Geocode Addresses function to turn the textual table information into geographic point locations on our map. Some addresses weren't matched to a location, perhaps because of typos or incorrect information in the table, so we had to do some manual rematching.
This is where it got a little confusing. I wasn't sure how to choose from the provided candidate list which address was a better match. We used Google Maps to help get a ground visual of where the stations might actually be, but sometimes I couldn't find one, or there wasn't any suggested better candidate. So more to learn and understand about the rematch part. I did my best, got the matches down to 16% (5% is best), and moved on to network analysis. Here I used the results from geocoding and the Network Analyst tool to create a route with three stops within Lake County, starting from Station 11 in Paisley, FL. This went smoothly, just setting up the parameters of time, date, and stop locations then letting the tool process the route.
Our final part of the lab was working with ModelBuilder in an ESRI training exercise. I learned how to change, move, and add model elements, recognize the different stages for the model elements during processing, and run the model. It's an exciting tool and will be useful in the future I am sure. Overall, it was a practical lab as we will likely use any or all of these tools in the future.
![]() |
| EMS station locations and example optimal route created through geocoding processes and network analysis of tabular address data. |

No comments:
Post a Comment