After doing background research on the company and project, I developed a cartographic model to guide me in my work progress, taking into consideration potential data needs, analysis tools and functions I may want to use, and what my final output might look like. From there I began the lengthy process of data acquisition, analysis, and design. Much of the data was provided for us, with some additional DOQQs and day care center information added. For the homes criteria, visual georeferencing and digitizing against the aerials was necessary. I created a 400ft buffer around the corridor for electric and magnetic field (EMFs) concerns, with the majority of tools used after that centering around clipping, selecting by attribute or location with SQL queries, and manipulating the attribute table for statistical analysis. For my final map design and overall presentation scheme, I referenced the color scheme and style of FPL's website. I tend to unintentionally produce softly tinted maps in regard to color scheme, so this was a little different in tone, however I think it is interesting and appropriate. The intended scenario audience would be community members and citizens familiar with the proposed route study area but potentially unfamiliar with GIS analysis, as the FPL supervisor requesting the results (my professor). With that in mind, I kept my presentation slides simple, wrote the commentary as if I were speaking with the audience in person, and used GIS terminology carefully in consideration of the scenario, while still meeting the process explanation requirements for the final.
The project was certainly challenging and required quite a lot of reviewing previous lab processes, online GIS help guides and forums, and old-fashioned sketches on paper to figure out how to pull it all together. The class overall has been interesting and overwhelming in the amount of information presented. I know it will be the usual time and practice routine before thinking and working like an Analyst becomes intuitive. I am not sure yet what direction I hope to take with my GIS certificate and this class was just the tip of the iceberg for ways to use GIS in our lives and careers, but I expect as I continue through the program I will begin to find topics I enjoy working with the most. Thanks to my professor for providing me with a wealth of skills and knowledge that will help me in future internships and completing the program.
To view my final presentation and commentary, click on the links below and they will download to your computer for viewing. I recommended viewing both files together for clarity of slides.
Final Presentation: FPL BobWhite-Manatee Transmission Line Proposed Route Analysis
Final Project: Slide Commentary
![]() |
| Introductory map for Bobwhite-Manatee Transmission Line Proposed Route Analysis final project and presentation. |
To view my final presentation and commentary, click on the links below and they will download to your computer for viewing. I recommended viewing both files together for clarity of slides.
Final Presentation: FPL BobWhite-Manatee Transmission Line Proposed Route Analysis
Final Project: Slide Commentary

No comments:
Post a Comment