Thursday, April 21, 2016

Portfolio Final

For our final assignment in the certificate program, we were tasked with creating either an online portfolio or a paper/PDF portfolio to present during an interview. The portfolio would tell a little about us, contain our GIS specific resume, and provide some examples of our student or professional GIS work over the last year. Additionally, the graduate level certificate students were required to record and submit a short "interview Q & A" session based on some provided questions.

I chose to create an online portfolio, as most of what I am doing in GIS right now is online searches and networking, as opposed to actively interviewing. The online portfolio is an additional resource, along with my blog and LinkedIn profile, that people or organizations could review.  I used Wix.com to create my portfolio, a free website service that offers a variety of templates, including some for portfolios and resumes. The website was very easy to use and fairly intuitive for basic design. I was able to pull my map images from my blog and upload them into Wix, with links back to my blog for each map, so a person could read more about the process I went through to create the map. I also tried to use a color scheme that was similar to my blog so there was a cohesiveness between both online resources.  http://aliciaahlindbom.wix.com/gisportfolio

For the audio recording of interview questions, the assignment suggested a few different free software programs to try. As I have a Mac-which can be a bit challenging with certain programs that Windows users have no trouble with-I decided to use Quickbooks and then convert the file to an mp3 through iTunes. I could upload the audio file to my Wix portfolio no problem, however to add the audio to my blog I needed to have the file saved somewhere on a server that Blogger could access. I ended up trying Google Sites which can be used as a full website like Wix (I didn't know about Sites until after creating my Wix page) or can be used as a sort of container for media files. The link below directs the reader to the media file, which must be downloaded, and then it should automatically begin playing in the user's default audio software program upon download (in my case, iTunes). Not sure that was exactly how the professors wanted the file to be linked here and I hope it works on other's computers, but that's what work best with my Mac without having to install any new software.

Click on the audio file link below and download the mp3 file to hear my answers for two mock interview questions:
1. Please describe a time when you were faced with a challenging situation and how you handled it. 
2. What is your favorite map example in your portfolio and why?
For question 2, see the maps below to follow along with my answer. 

https://sites.google.com/site/aliciamediafiles/mp3

Cartography course assignment focusing on typography, label placement, and overall attractiveness of a map. 

Remote Sensing and Interpretation assignment using supervised classification to determine land cover types from a Landsat image. 

One of two maps created for my Roy Hyatt Environmental Center internship, which included learning a handheld GPS device, downloading and manipulating data, and communicating with customers to ensure a useable final product. 




No comments:

Post a Comment