Using an area I currently live near and am familiar with, I decided to look at suitable land for a potential nature center to be built in the Blackwater River State Park in Santa Rosa County, FL. I gathered relevant data and created two maps: a constraint map and a criteria map. The constraint map was a Boolean grid map of all the areas that could be included (value 1) or excluded (value 0) from the analysis, such as wetlands and rivers excluded, and the eastern side of the park included. The criteria map consisted of 4 datasets that I reclassified with suitability ratings (1-4, high suitability to not suitable), then used the Weighted Overlay tool with equal weight to find suitable areas in the park based on those criteria. A final map was created by using the Times tool to combine the constraints with the weighted criteria to produce all included suitable areas in the state park.
A suitability analysis and weighted overlay are both highly dependent on the ratings and weight put on each criteria. As my study was based on my own personal knowledge of the area, but lacking expert opinion, on construction costs for example, the results mostly provide a general outlook on suitable areas, with definite room for further modeling and criteria input.
Based on feedback there are a few things I could have differently with the study, such as cell size considerations and criteria distances for rating. As a first time master's class and new GIS student, I am happy with my final paper though and all I learned during the project. I look forward to implementing what I learned into future GIS endeavors.
![]() |
| Study area of the Blackwater River State Park within the Blackwater River State Forest in Santa Rosa County, FL. |
![]() |
| Final map of the combined constraints and weighted criteria for suitable sites for a new nature center. |


No comments:
Post a Comment