For the first part of the lab I determined the extent of area impacted by a 3ft and 6ft sea level rise and related flood depth along the southern coast of the District of Honolulu. I overlaid the floodzones with US Census tract data to get an idea of population density in the affected areas (see map). Switching to Census blocks, I further analyzed the data to look at specific population types. Out of a total population of 390,738 people in the entire district, 19% are white, 48% of homes are owner occupied, and 18% are 65 and older. Of the total population 2% would be affected by a 3 ft sea level rise, with 15% affected by a 6 ft rise. For whites, 37% are affected by a 3 ft rise and 30% affected by a 6 ft rise, compared to only 19% and 18% respectively that are unaffected. The results lead me to believe more whites live along the low-lying coastal areas than further inland. 49% and 50% of owner occupied homes were not impacted by a 3ft rise and a 6 ft rise, with a less than 20% difference in those that were affected-32% and 37% respectively, showing that there are slightly more owned homes further inland than along the immediate coast. For populations of 65 or older, there results were within 1% of those affected or unaffected for both scenarios, with 17% affected and 18% unaffected. So this small age group is evenly dispersed across the district.
For the second part of the lab I compared storm surge accuracy between Lidar and USGS DEMs for Collier County, FL. I created floodzones for each DEM, used the Region Group tool to exclude disconnected areas, selected the main cell value area with the Equal To tool, overlaid a buildings dataset, and then used spatial overlays and queries to examine agreement of the impacted building results between the two elevation models. Using the Lidar DEM as the "true" count, I also calculated the errors of omission and commission for the two models.
Considering the topic was interesting and easy to understand, I had a lot of reworking in this lab. Likely because there was a lot of table joining and field calculations, where one little mistype or incorrect option could lead to incorrect results in the end.
![]() |
| Flood area and depth expected with 6 ft sea level rise and affected population based on census tracts for District of Honolulu. |

No comments:
Post a Comment