Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Week 11 - Vector Analysis 2

In Week 11 we continued our studies of spatial analysis for vector and raster data. Fixed and variable buffers, a little taste of mulitple analysis in ArcPython, and experimenting with overlay tools. Our goal: to narrow down possible campsite locations based on a provided set of parameters (noted in map). Also to determine the spatial location of the provided data.

The buffering, overlays, and coding went smoothly. To determine the data location, I used the projection information to narrow it down in the world (North America), then I used the coordinates from one of the shapefile's metadata to look around in Google Earth. Mystery solved: De Soto National Forest in Mississippi!

My frustrations began when I thought I'd like to use a raster for the background. My thinking was that an aerial view could be valuable if the user were a board member wanting to see what the land around the possible campsites looked like. I didn't like the ESRI aerial basemap because of a random smoke cloud in one corner (forest fire? I hope not) so I was off to do some data searching. It went so well for my mid-term that I took it for granted this wouldn't be a hard task. Wrong! Oh, I did find data in my searches, just not what I was hoping for. Mostly due to user error and pickiness. We learn through experimentation though, except this time I'm not sure I learned more than the fact that I still have a lot to learn, especially about data types! In the end, I went with an ESRI topo basemap, and it looks just fine. Maybe even easier to read really. All's well that ends well.

Map using buffers and overlays to determine possible campsite locations in De Soto National Forest, based on specific parameters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment